Do you guys like Comedy Writing from Birmingham England

Michael Casey

18 Jan, 2011 04:04 PM

Its very hard to get noticed in the writing game. I once had a play accepted by a theatre, they said "sparkling, very real, great fun, hilarious, we could not stop reading it. We hope to produce it." I've attached Shoplife below. IT remains my Copyright, but maybe just maybe somebody out there will give me my USA break.

As for my comic novel, comic means comedy in England, not Superman comic. Anyways here's my advert and my bio for my comedy novel The Butcher The Baker and The Undertaker.

The Butcher, The Baker & The Undertaker (c) a comedy drama for everybody

set in Old Forge and Singing Anvil a perfect tv series or one off drama depending on your budget

A novel , plays and humour essays all on my site www.michaelgcasey.multiply.com
Now how do I grab your attention I was born in the shadow of Cape Hill Brewery , Smethwick , which is on the side of Birmingham. I ended up working for a market research company into Alcohol Sales , and I was the shandy drinker . Any alcohol and I was off my tree . Yes really . My job was computer operator , it was mad and we all had lots of fun , we were right in the city centre , 20 year olds with the keys to the building , listening to 90mins of ALL the versions of Paul Hardcastles n n n 19 . Friends would drop by at weekends to sober up and catch the next night service home . Tom and Jane came in for sex, safe sex, sex literally on a safe, the office carpets were so dirty after all .They come and chat for 30 mins , before going home , to their homes , everybody still lived at home then .
Finally after 21years I was made redundant, however luck and God played their part . After my mother’s sudden but peaceful death my dad ended up in an old peoples home , literally in the same street as the family home , only at the posh end 2 miles up the road , that’s if posh can be in the red light area of Birmingham . However after years of visits I met my future wife , a small chinese girl from Shanghai who made me laugh . Once we fell in love this over 40s boy did the right thing . I sent her back to Shanghai and told her to tell her parents all my bad points . Six months later she came back to me . Now after a few trials and tribulation we are wed with a 3 year old who nags in Shanghai dialect plus a 13month old who yesterday took her first step .

The novel also on the site is called The Butcher , The Baker and The Undertaker (c), very tongue in cheek , simultaneously on several levels . An undertaker who becomes an election agent so a dodgy builder becomes a member of Parliament in the constituency of Old Forge and Singing Anvil , (my dad was a blacksmith from County Kerry Eire , yes really).
www.michaelgcasey.multiply.com
The Butcher The Baker and The Undertaker is a comedy drama about a street of shops in Old Forge and Singing Anvil in England . Here's a flavour
Wayne buys a derelict pub and his wife is pregnant with twins , things could not be worse , Mrs Murphy comes to the rescue with a loan , and 2 sets of twins the builders work for nothing , God looks down and helps too , Wayne discovers a hidden cellar underneath the cellar , its full of 40year old whisky left over from the war WWII , the pub was where the local black marketeer left everything . Wayne and family are saved .
The Undertaker has a feud with the traffic warden for putting a parking ticket on his hearse.On the way there' a Jazz funeral , a teddy bear called Patrick , a dog called hairy Amjit who has a mind of his own . The Undertaker’s son leaves the business and Percy is at a loss , his son returns with a Prodigal Son plea for forgiveness , "Father forgive me , I now know that computers are not for me , there is no love in computers , but in our business there is love and compassion .
The Undertaker tries to blackmail a bent builder who is going to demolish the street of shops where they all live . Peace is restored so the Undertaker becomes the election agent for the builder and takes him on a tour of all the rest homes , so that the builder ends up getting into the Houses of Parliament . The dodgy bookie Smiling Paul has a bet on the election and wins 1million pounds. The Undertaker is furious until her hears that Smiling Paul had a road to Damascus experience and gave away all the money to help save the Chinese restaurant business of his Chinese friends . So Smiling Paul becomes a man of honour , and gets a stunning girlfriend on the way , because the Chinese must honour him .
The writing is funny and tongue in cheek , if some readers see it just as a ma and pa book then good , but if they step back they will see that I'm gently poking fun at my characters . Such as Big Sid the butcher who is like a year around Santa . Patrick the baker is trying to have a love life but all the street knows his every move . His mother is relieved when finally he meets the right girl , a virgin , who turns out to be the only daughter of the man who saved the bakery many years before , to Patrick's mum its a miracle and the will of God .
Bible belt people , simple honest folk will love the book , and forgive Patrick's stupidity because , heck he's a good boy . The New Yorkers and California will love it too because they'll just laugh at the other side of the tale , The Butcher The Baker and The Undertaker is for everybody , and in translation it will find a bigger audience . I predict 15million sales in USA alone .
I finish with a poem from Percy the Undertaker
The Dead and The Living (c)
by
Michael Casey
I first saw a deceased when I was nine years old ,my father said not
to worry as the dead are the same as the living , only the laughter
has left them , the sparkle has gone from their eyes , the worry has
been lifted from their shoulders , and their voice has vanished to
eternity .
In paradise the sparkle will return for it is the twinkle of the
stars , the laughter will return too for it is the morning breeze and
the turning tides are their sides shaking with laughter .
I treat the deceased with the same courtesy as I give to the living ,
though I find the deceased are always more polite . My father also
had a few words to say about the living .
He said that the living are only the caretakers of the soul , yet
they think their existence is everything , that they know everything
because they experience many things with their senses .
What the living don't acknowledge is that their time is short and
when I lay their bodies to rest then their souls continue without
them , without their strong , without their weak , without their
beautiful or even ugly temporary form , to where I cannot say , only
that it is a better place .
Percy the undertaker placed the lid on the coffin ,the soul was free
THE BEGINNING

www.michaelgcasey.multiply.com

Well that's all folks, I must dash to the bathroom as I have food poisoning, yes really. I hope you could understand my accent
I've attached my stuff below, 3 books and a play ALL MY COPYRIGHT
Michael Casey

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by jokey360 on 18 Jan, 2011 05:56 PM

Sorry about your "issue" - but we don't accept unsolicited scripts or ideas. The only way to get us to see your ideas is if you film them (or write a story) and upload them to the site (click the "Upload" link on the upper right-hand side of any page on FunnyorDie.com). If they're good, we'll wind up seeing them!

-Keith

2. jokey360 closed this discussion on 18 Jan, 2011 05:56 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac