Rigging the captions contest

hotdiggitydaffodil

02 Jun, 2011 06:13 PM

Why is it the more times someone marks my caption as "funny" it seems like the "die"s go up in an almost corresponding way? This is not to say that my captions are so brilliant that it would be inconceivable for people to not like them, but the only captions that seems to be getting a large number of "die"s are the ones that have a high number of "funny's. That cannot be a coincidence. My captions may not be great, but they're certainly not bad enough to be deserving of such antipathy, just as many others are not as well. It's taking all of the fun out of the contest.

1. 1 Posted by hotdiggitydaffo... on 02 Jun, 2011 06:22 PM

I've seen this happen with many other people, not just myself. I'm not trying to say that my captions are worthy of more praise, I'm just trying to figure out where the hostility is coming from, for every person who's captions recieved both high numbers of "funny" and "die" both. Something about it just doesn't feel right.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by jokey360 on 02 Jun, 2011 07:15 PM

I'm sorry this is happening to you. All of the false-ish voting has come when we opened the voting flood gates (allowing people without a login to vote). It's definitely an unpleasant effect, and I'm pretty sure we will have to address it in the future to make it more fair.

We make an effort to read over as many comments as possible picking one that makes us "lol". I'm sure we aren't picking the cream of the crop every time though.

By the way - want a t-shirt? :-P

If so, send me your size, and addy.

-keith

3. 3 Posted by hotdiggitydaffo... on 02 Jun, 2011 08:02 PM

Thanks, Keith. I appreciate the response. I know it shouldn't be that big
    of a deal, but sometimes I'm particularly proud of what I write and it's
    annoying to have my efforts seemingly sabotaged, especially since it seems
    to be done simply for spite.

And yes, I'd love a t-shirt. Who am I to turn my nose up at free swag? I'm
    a large. Thanks.

My addy: 3314 W Plantation Dr. LaPorte, TX 77571

thanks ~ darrel

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Keith <
    [email blocked]> wrote:

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by jokey360 on 02 Jun, 2011 09:05 PM

I'll send it out today.

5. 5 Posted by purecomedian on 03 Jul, 2011 09:38 PM

well I had 65 funny and 60 dies and ever one else had 17 19 and 12 funny and how dose the 19 funny win wtf this some bull shit! http://www.funnyordie.com/caption_contests/d77a18ae21/caption-conte...

6. 6 Posted by thebeammachine2... on 17 Nov, 2011 08:07 AM

Are you guys ever gonna limit each account to 1 vote? I did not realize till I read this forum that people without accounts could vote, so I can see now why this hasn't already been done. But there are some sites out there that only let the same IP address vote once, so you would have to change computers to be a deushbag at least. But forcing people to make an account to participate and then limiting their votes to one per caption would seem to me to fix the problem. Either way I love this site, so I'm gonna keep on keepin on.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by jokey360 on 17 Nov, 2011 05:49 PM

No, we've decided to leave the voting criteria alone. When we limited voting to signing in, we had a low participation. There are cons for both voting options, and we are going to leave it where it is for now.

Sorry for the voting lameness out there that comes with our current setup.

8. jokey360 closed this discussion on 17 Nov, 2011 05:49 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac